IS IT SPRING YET? Where is Mother Nature when you need her.

I don't know about the rest of you, but this winter as kicked my ass. The freezing temperatures have drained me emotionally & financially. Oh, how I long for spring! Call me crazy but it feels as if Mother Nature knew we rescued a dog this year and I would be spending more time than usually outdoors walking my furry little friend. Good Golly.
Bailey, our new family member, had a tough start. She was transferred from Florida to a shelter in New Hampshire, so the snow and cold temperatures were difficult to adjust to. As you can see from this video, though, she has come along nicely.
My hubby took this video on one of the many snow days here in MA. My daughter is laughing her butt off - she has her new best friend. Sorry for the quality. A cameraman Jeff is not!
Bailey has consumed most of the last few months. It it like having a new baby. We have had to rearrange our schedules; understand her needs; and find the perfect routine.
Tuesday, she begins her first "Ruff Diamonds" training class. This is a specific class for dogs who have difficulty socializing with other dogs. A class with dogs who don't like each other - wish me luck!
Bailey has been an excellent dogs in so many ways. She is fantastic with kids - a huge plus with all the kids in our neighborhood - and she loves to snuggle and have her belly rubbed ..... but, put another dog in her site, and she becomes unravelled. She barks and growls, lunges for them, and makes walking her difficult to say the least. So, training it is. We had to wait a bit for the class to start, but I am hoping this does the trick.
Coming from a shelter, I assumed she would be fine with other animals.  Not so. Who knows what she has experienced on the streets as a stray dog over the last few years. It may take awhile to get her more comfortable and realize that she is in a safe environment now; we won't let anyone hurt her. She has become very protective of the house and our family. Now we need to help her cope with her fear of other dogs. She will get there - she just needs the love and patience.
Any advise you all have would be welcome!

Cyndi

Comments

  1. Ours barks like mad seeing another dog too--the only flaw we find with him. And it's my fault for not socializing him properly as a puppy! Hope things work out for Bailey, and hang in there--spring's comin'!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't stop laughing! Loved the video! Watched it twice ;o)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Cyndi, the video was so cute. I loved it. I'm just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts